We made it!!! Naomi is officially one month old today, hehehehehe… I’m lucky enough to be able to update my blog this morning as she’s taking her morning nap.
Yes, it’s been a month already since we’ve had our little girl. Time really flies!! Oh, by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!! How did you guys spend your New Year’s Eve? I spent mine snoring in bed by 9pm lol!
I’m actually looking pretty sane this morning. Had some good shuteye last night in between the feedings. I’m hoping that it’ll only get better from here 🙂 I must admit, the first two to three weeks have been tough on us. But, it would’ve been even tougher if I hadn’t had help from my mum and sister. I think I’ve had it easy compared to new mums who’ve had no helpers at all!
Now that it’s been a month, I’m officially no longer in my “confinement” period, hehehe. I have a confession to make! I’ve actually been really naughty and sneaked out of the house a couple of times during confinement. About 4-5 times WITH Naomi and a couple of other times either by myself or with Mr S or my mum, lol!!! I’ve been “chastised” for quite a few things I’ve been doing or not doing thus far, such as:
- not swaddling the baby, or not swaddling them the right way (leaving Naomi’s arms out). I know swaddling is supposed to help calm, soothe and settle a baby but Naomi just downright refuses for her arms to be swaddled! She would cry and cry while struggling to have her arms freed! I then did some research on this on the net and it says that some babies really dislikes having their arms swaddled. I know I can’t believe everything I read on the net but hey, freeing her arms in our case works! And I would definitely do or go with something that works for my baby!
- not layering her with enough clothes. “But it’s 38 degrees Celsius today! And look, she’s sweating all over!” I would protest. It seems that babies need to be wrapped up in layers of clothing everyday, just because. -_- Well, I’m sorry but Naomi will be wearing only her singlet and nappy today because it’s scorching hot outside!
- not putting pillows or soft items around the baby to make her feel safe while she sleeps. It’s to reduce the risk of SIDS okay!! I’d rather be safe than sorry!
- not letting her sleep on her tummy. Also to reduce the risk of SIDS. But I must admit, letting Naomi sleep on her tummy helps lessen the effects of her startle reflex. I try not to let her sleep on her tummy at night when both Mr S and I are knocked out (unless she wakes up and cries for a feed). But I do let her sleep on her tummy from time to time in the morning when we are up to monitor/supervise her. Having said that, I wouldn’t recommend any parent to let their babies sleep on their tummies. Just in case!
- not giving her formula before my milk came in. I did in the end, one night in the hospital as we were desperate and she was really, really distressed and tired by then from the constant crying and hunger, and another time when we got home. I was trying hard to follow everything by the books when it came to breastfeeding. If the pamphlets in the hospital says no formula then NO FORMULA it is! But when you watch your baby cry and cry so helplessly, you just wanna help take the pain away as soon as you can. Thank goodness we’ve become established with breastfeeding now.
- not giving her the dummy. Again, another thing I was going by the books with. But eventually, I gave in and bought dummies for her. We have four different types of them at home now (we have 8 in total as some come in a pack of 3) and she takes none of them. All she wants is her momma’s good ol’ titty. LOL!
The thing is, everyone will have their own fair bit of “two cents” to give when you have a baby. And they could all be contradicting each other. But only you know what’s best for your baby. I’m not saying don’t take any of the advices given as I’m sure there are constructive advices from people around you – from your mum, medical professionals and whatnot. But take what sounds right for you, go with your own mother’s instincts! After all, it’s your baby and you know what’s best for them!
Anyway, this post has turned out so much longer than I expected! (It’s a good thing, hey?) so I’m gonna end it now with some photos I managed to snap for the past few weeks. Enjoy!
Here’s one I took last Saturday when Naomi was 4 weeks old. Figured I’d snap one with her milestone card earlier ‘cos she was looking so cute that day, haha!
Not to mention, a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who sent their well wishes and gifts and cards from near and afar!! Can’t thank you all enough!!! ❤ ❤ ❤
Last but not least, Happy 1 month old, Naomi!!! You are so loved!